Special garbage collection
The City of Bathurst conducts special garbage collections (also known as bulky refuse) annually, this usually during the last week of May.
This special collection applies to residential properties in the City of Bathurst. It does not include businesses, commercial, industrial, institutional or government establishments.
2023 SPECIAL GARBAGE COLLECTION SCHEDULE
- Zone 1: Monday May 29th
- Zone 2: Tuesday May 30th
- Zone 3: Wednesday May 31st
- Zone 4: Thursday June 1st
* SPILLOVER REQUESTS WILL BE HANDLED ON FRIDAY JUNE 2nd (requests that cannot be handled between Monday May 29th and Thursday June 1st)
ITEMS ACCEPTED FOR COLLECTION INCLUDE:
- Household appliances such as clothes washers and dryers, Refrigerators, Stoves, etc;
- Household furniture, mattresses, carpets and rugs;
- Wooden crates, tree branches (tied in bundles) and other yard debris.
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED FOR COLLECTION INCLUDE:
- Construction material, logs,
- Car / Motorbike / Snowmobile / ATV’s and/or parts of said vehicles, tires, etc.;
- Rocks, gravel, sand, and other earth material;
- Manure, animal carcasses;
- Gas tanks, propane tanks, explosive materials, reactive and corrosive material, batteries, solvents and any other materials classified as hazardous materials.
- The special garbage collection is voluntary and a resident requiring a special garbage collection will be required to pay a user charge of fifty dollars ($50.00), plus HST, per collection. The user fee must be paid at City Hall, 150 St. George Street, prior to the special collection activity. The items for the special garbage collection shall be identified by the resident at that time.
- Waste shall be placed by the occupant in front of his/her or the dwelling house just off the traveled portion of the street, so as not to interfere with traffic. Other such convenient location may be used as per approval by a City Official.
- Waste shall be placed by the occupant of the dwelling house for collection no earlier than 8:00p.m. the evening before collection and no later than 7:30a.m. of the day of collection.
In order to facilitate the special garbage collection process, the City of Bathurst is divided into four (4) zones.