Planning Advisory Committee
The mandate of the Planning Advisory Committee (P.A.C.) as set out in New Brunswick’s Community Planning Act is:
- To advise Council on community planning matters
- To exercise quasi-judicial powers as provided in the Community Planning Act with respect to by-laws and regulations effective within the City (e.g. make decisions on variance, terms and conditions, rulings of compatibility, temporary use, and non-conforming use applications, etc.).
Variances are special authorizations to infringed zoning by-law regulations. Requests for variances need approval of the Planning Advisory Committee and can be subject to special conditions.
Zoning is an important part of the City's planning process. A property's zoning dictates what types of uses are permitted, and regulates how a property may be developed. To help determine the functions of certain areas within the City, a property may be zoned:
- Community Use
- Integrated Development
A property owner may have the opportunity to rezone a property when he/she wishes to develop the property in a manner that is contrary to the existing zoning regulations. The rezoning process gives the Municipality the opportunity to review development proposals within the Zoning framework.
Variance and Re-zoning Application Process
The application process for a variance and re-zoning are similar. For either process, the applicant must submit a letter of application addressed to:
Donald McLaughlin, Municipal Planning Officer
City of Bathurst Planning Department
150 St. George Street, Bathurst NB, E2A 1B5.
This application letter should provide the following information:
- The name of the property owner(s)
- Mailing address and telephone number of the applicant
- Location of the property
- Brief description of the purpose of the application, outlining any related development proposal.
For all fees related to Variance and Re-zoning applications, please consult the City of Bathurst Tariff of Fees Policy.
This document is accessible in our website under the “City Hall / City Council, Administration and Publications / Policies” section.
Planning Advisory Committee Policy
Policy no. 1991-03 titled PLANNING ADVISORY COMMITTEE was adopted by council on November 4, 1991. You can find it in the policy section of our website, or by clicking here.